As a highly specialised partner for archives, libraries and collections, the PAL PRESERVATION ACADEMY offers all relevant services for stock preservation under one roof.
The newest technical processes along with well-founded restoration knowledge and experience come together and guarantee the highest level of quality in processing valuable paper objects.
The quality of our services is ensured by a team of experts who have decades of experience in the area of stock preservation and engineering technology.
Our team is continuously involved in research to improve existing conservation methods. It developed an automatic paper splitting technology, which is accepted world-wide, among other successful restoration technologies.
– Damage analysis, consultation and expert reports
– Preservation strategies and measures for special collections and entire libraries
– De-acidification of library and archive holdings with PAL Booksaver®
– Stabilisation of papers using aqueous treatment, leaf-casting and splitting
– Treatment of autographs damaged by ink and colour corrosion
– Decontamination: removal and extermination of mould/fungal infestation
– De-lamination: removal of so-called „protective films“ attached to paper as a self-adhesive
– Conservational effective protection and storage systems
– Book cover restoration, or, if necessary, renewal based on historical models
– Restoration and conservation of blueprints, maps and other large-format documents
– Digitalisation and facsimiles
– Research and development
– Vocational training for all interested parties
Libraries, archives, and museums not only suffer from the decay affecting their collections, but also from staff shortages and efficiency drives. In order to prevent the loss of cultural treasures made of paper, these institutions need a competent partner who assumes responsibility while keeping an eye on costs.
The PAL PRESERVATION ACADEMY GmbH Leipzig is the partner for you. It offers a cost effective, tailored solution for all your needs and we assume responsibility for our results.
The PAL PRESERVATION ACADEMY provides every imaginable form of support and logistical measures related to stock preservation. Our skilled restorers are working with traditional and state-of-the-art
expert knowledge along. They have available to them the newest scientific and technological options to provide efficient and optimal solutions.
The Company was founded in 2003 by Professor Wolfgang Wächter Ph.D. (born 1940)
and Claus Michaletz (born 1933).
Before, Prof. Wächter was a director of the Book Conservation Center of the German National Library of Leipzig until 1996.
Mr. Claus Michaletz has been a well-known publisher, working as one of the directors of Springer Science + Business Media, and, as such, also a perfect match.
Together, they grew the Preservation Academy from a regional preservation and conservation company with eight employees to the internationally renowned business that it is today.